Wednesday, April 18, 2012

American History Quickwrite

There are a couple of events with historical significance that are also quite important to myself as well. The first event happened on September 21 when the most famous Earthquake ever sounded Taiwan first stroke. I was nothing but a little infant at that time, and could vaguely recall mother nature going left and right. My parents had to scurry out of our apartment and stream down the stairs. In the middest of the chaos, we left our beloved pet- Jelly behind. It wasn't until we got to the car when my youthful self suddenly discovered that Jelly was not with us. I screamed for my family to go back but my parents refused, seeing how grave the situation can be. We returned to the apartment three days later to find Jelly alive, which was a bliss. I learned the value of life and friends throughout this experience . Another memorable event of mine that had historical significance was the Great Recession around 2008~2009 : an economical depression that struck many jobless. Our family wad affected as my mother's income was reduced due to the fact that too many went bankrupted during that period. Our aunt got into a huge debt and the family had to buy her out of it. Our family then experienced a short recession afterwards, and my brother was unable to attend a special competition in Finland since our family couldn't exactly afford an extra plane ticket. Up until present day, I could still hear the sound of my brother's soft weeping in my ears whenever our family was to board an airplane.  I swear to myself that I will never be trivial with money. The last event that has personal as well as historical importance to me was when the people gathered to protest against Chen-Shua-Bein's presidency. My father's family was spilt down into two when discussing about this event:  my grandparents supported the president while their sons does not. This resulted in many fights that nearly tore the family apart. There was once when my grandfather got so angry he slammed his bowl onto the ground and stormed out the door. It took us four hours to find him  the wandering by the train station and take him back home. Those four hours were probably the most painful hours of my life. I couldn't stop myself from worrying. I hated waiting, and that was exactly what I had to do at that time. I learned from this dilemma that family is the upmost important force above all others, including political affairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment