Sunday, February 12, 2012

Imagery you see in " A Blessing"

The power of " A Blessing" comes from Mr. James Wright's master in imagery. I will go ahead and describe to you all there is to it throughout the poem. First of all, the author used imagery to inform us that they are off the  highway in Rochester, Minnesota. I don't personally really consider this imagery since it's more of feeding off information than using language that appeals to our senses, but just to be not he safe side, I decided to include that as well. We also knew it was night time because of the next imagery" Twilight bounds softly forth on the grass" . In our mental eye, we can see how little faint bits of lights ran or leaped in strides . The next imagery describes the eyes of the indian ponies: " And the eyes of the Indian ponies darken with kindness." From here we can see that the eyes of the ponies are dark black, another imagery. We also see the author and his friend stepped over the barbed wire and see the excited ponies on the grassland they had been grazing all day along. That, I think, is another piece of imagery. The part about the excited ponies especially. I could also see the ponies chew on the young turfs of spring and the female pony that is black and white and had her manes fall wild on her forehead. That is the strongest point of imagery throughout the entire poem. I can literally see the beautiful pony. I can also feel the  light breeze the author used imagery to decide and feel the delicate skin of the pony like a girl's wrist. This is also a great piece of imagery. I think this whole poem is composed of imagery starting practically from the very beginning. I saw how it was night, how the beautiful ponies reacted to them, where they lived, and how they felt like. This, is a wonderful example of imagery. I believe we can learn a lot from Mr. James Wright. Another imagery I forgot to mention was how they bow shyly like wet swans. In my mindful eye, I can really see the way they bowed to each other lovingly. 
Now, I will give a brief summary of this poem. Just off the highway of Rochester, Minnesota as the night twilight leaped in strides among the grass, the eyes of the two indian ponies seemed to lighten with kindness. The author and his friend went over the wire to where the ponies had been all day along as the ponies rippled excitedly as their arrival. They bowed to each other in a manful way and the author could really see that they loved each other and their loneliness wasn't actually too bad since they have each other. Once they were at home again, they began grazing on the grass again. The author had an urge to hold the slender pony in his arms because she had walked over to him and nuzzled his hand. The author saw she was a black and white pony with her mane falling wild on her forehead . The light breeze gave the author a sudden urge to touch its ears and found them to be as delicate as a girl's wrist. It was then when the author realized that if he were to step out of his body, he would brea into blossoms.
In the last paragraph I feel there is a need for me to explain my imageries. I wasn't sure about which parts of the poem qualified as imagery because it seemed like all parts of it contributed to paint a picture in my head and appealed to my senses. Here I will give a few main imageries just to be safe: 1) Twilight bounds softly forth on the grass- creating an image of night time 2) The eyes of two indian ponies their eyes darken with kindness- creating an image of dark eyed kind ponies. 3) They bow shyly like swans- conveyed the image of the way they bowed lovingly to each other, 4) She is black and white, her mane falls wild on her forehead and ....wrist- Conveys how the slender pony looks and feels like. 

No comments:

Post a Comment